Buying a cat? Why you should adopt from us instead
Are you starting the search for a loving companion and thinking of buying a cat or kitten? We have many cats and kittens waiting to be rehomed in the UK and our adoption centres are often full.
We rehomed 43,000 cats in 2017. Instead of buying, why not consider adopting a kitten or cat from Cats Protection?
If you adopt a cat or kitten from us you can be sure that they’re healthy, happy and ready to be rehomed. We endeavour to make sure cats and kittens in our care are:
- health checked
- vaccinated against cat flu and enteritis
- neutered, where appropriate
- provided with 4 weeks of free Petplan insurance
Buying a cat or kitten
If you’re keen on buying a cat, we strongly recommend that you do so from a reputable breeder or seller. A kitten should stay with their mother until eight to nine weeks before they are rehomed. It is important that the kitten appears alert, sociable and with no visible health problems. If you’re buying a cat or kitten, here are a few things to consider.
- Have you seen where the kitten lives and check it is well cared for?
- Have the kittens in the litter been checked over by a vet? If so, you should be given details
- Has the kitten been wormed or vaccinated? There should be documentation of this
- Have you seen the mother of the kitten? Is the mother a healthy cat? Are there any hereditary illnesses or diseases? It is important to know the kitten’s history before you buy
- Where have the kittens been kept? Keeping kittens in a busy environment will allow them to be socialised and feel safer around people once they are adults
At Cats Protection we have thousands of cats and kittens in our care at any one time, all looking for the perfect home.